The experience from the Palace of Knossos is one of those that you miss out on while on the island of Crete.
It is the largest Bronze Age archaeological site on the island of Crete.
✦ Own Experience From The Palace of Knossos In Crete
Every traveler has their own share of mishaps and funny stories during their travel adventures. Consequently, we try to learn from each one of them and also hope that they will never happen again. One of those unexpected scenarios happened to us at the entrance of the Palace of Knossos.
Unluckily, when we arrived here around 9 a.m, the queue to get in was horrendous.
It was unfortunate that we couldn’t buy tickets online. This is because the tickets are only available at the ticket office located at the entrance of the Palace of Knossos.
After queuing for some time, we finally bought the combined tickets to the Palace of Knossos and the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion.
On a positive note, contrary to the majority of museums, the Greek museums don’t charge the minors.
✦ A Short History Of These Ancient Ruins
The Palace of Knossos was a political and ceremonial center of the Minoan civilization and culture. It was a building covering an area of 20.000 square meters.
✦ What To Expect From The Palace of Knossos
Indeed, the palace was rebuilt and it is one of the historical sites on the island that are accessible to the tourists. The following are some of the outstanding points that I noted while viewing the ancient ruins of the Palace of Knossos:
- The surrounding areas are impressive
- There are plaques with a lot of information in both English and Greek. This makes it easier for tourists to explore the Palace without the help of the guide
- The Palace of Knossos has been well maintained and it has been good to revive the myth of the labyrinth and the Minoans
- On the negative side though, I found it a little bit difficult to distinguish what was preserved from ancient times and what has been renovated by Arthur Evans, who discovered the palace
Last but not least, all the findings from the palace are in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion.
✦ Some Tips For the Palace Of Knossos In Crete
- Get there early to avoid the queue
- The site is large and there are uneven surfaces
- The parking is free and near the premise
- There is a restaurant
- Wear comfortable shoes
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Thank you for stopping by and stay positive!
| Wambui’s Diaries | Traveler | Globetrotter | Travel bug | Travelogue | Travel Diaries | Travel Tales |