Chapatis is a popular recipe in East African countries. They are served with a curried beef or chicken stew. The best ones are the soft layered chapatis.
Making the soft layered chapatis is quite similar to making the ordinary chapatis. The only difference is that to have those layers require a little bit more time.
✦ The Ingredients For Making Chapatis
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 cups of wheat flour
- 2 cups of warm water
- Vegetable oil
✦ The Steps For Making Chapatis
- Add the 3 cups of the wheat flour in a bowl
2. In another bowl, whip up the egg. Then add the salt, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and stir until the sugar and the salt dissolve. Finally, add one cup of the warm water to the mixture and stir a little bit.
3. Then, add the mixture to the bowl that has the 3 cups of the wheat flour and mix it. Keep adding the remaining water to the mixture until the dough is soft.
4. Keep kneading the dough for 5 minutes and sprinkle some wheat flour if needed for it to be thick and not sticky.
Add some vegetable oil to the dough and keep on kneading.
5. Next, cover the dough and leave it for 1 hour.
✦ How To Make The Soft Layered Chapatis
6. After 1 hour, divide the dough into medium several parts and shape them into ball-like shapes.
Dust the kitchen countertop with some flour and then place them.
7 Immediately, pick each ball, one at a time, and use a rolling pin to roll them into a circular shape.
8. Every time after rolling a ball into a circular shape, brush or spread the vegetable oil on top of it.
9 Then roll the oiled chapati until you have a shape that is similar to a rope.
10. Once you have achieved the shape of a rope look alike, then coil it and press it down to make it flat.
To make the work a little bit easier and fun, it’s preferably better to do steps 8, 9, and 10 first then head to step 11.
11. Then, use a rolling pin to make a circular shaped chapati.
12. Finally, heat the pan to 350°c and place the rolled out chapati one by one until each side is golden brown.
When they are ready, you should ensure that you place them in a plastic wrap or a covered container. Then leave them for 20 minutes.
You will have your soft layered chapatis and they will be ready to be served with some stew.
✦ Some Tips For The Dough
- You can choose not to use the egg
- Also, it’s okay to choose brown or white wheat flour
- Do not use the self-rising flour to make the chapatis
- You can also choose to leave the dough overnight
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: