Traditionally, chapatis were cooked during special occasions in many homes in Kenya. These included weddings, Christmas, Easter, just to mention but a few.
Today, they are part of the meals in many homes.
✦ The Ingredients
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 cups of wheat flour
- 2 cups of warm water
- The vegetable oil
✦ The Steps For Making the Chapatis
- Add the 3 cups of the wheat flour in a bowl
2. In another bowl, whip up the egg. Then add the salt, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and stir until the sugar and the salt dissolve. Finally, add one cup of the warm water to the mixture and stir a little bit.
3. Then, add the mixture to the bowl that has the 3 cups of the wheat flour and mix it. Keep adding the remaining water to the mixture until the dough is soft.
4. Keep kneading the dough for 5 minutes and sprinkle some wheat flour if needed for it to be thick and not sticky.
Add some vegetable oil to the dough and keep on kneading.
5. Next, cover the dough and leave it for 1 hour.
✦ How To Make The Layers in the Chapatis
6. After 1 hour, divide the dough into medium several parts and shape them into ball-like shapes.
Dust the kitchen countertop with some flour and then place them.
7. Use a rolling pin to roll them into a circular shape, each at a time.
8. After rolling a ball into a circular shape, brush or spread the vegetable oil on the top of it.
9 Then roll the oiled chapati until you have a shape that is similar to a rope.
10. Then coil it and press it to make it flat.
To make the work easier, do steps 8, 9, and 10 first then head to step 11.
11. Use a rolling pin to make a circular shaped chapati.
12. Finally, heat the pan to 350°c and place the rolled out chapati one by one. Spread the vegetable oil on each side until they are golden brown.
13. When they are ready, you place them in a plastic wrap or in a covered container.
14. Leave them for 20 minutes. Then they will be ready to be served.
✦ How are Chapatis Served
They are served by either the curried beef or chicken stew. Also, they can also be warmed up and served as a snack or for breakfast.
✦ Some Tips For The Dough
- You can choose either to use eggs or not
- Choose the type of wheat flour that you prefer
- Do not use the self-rising flour to make the chapatis
- You can also choose to leave the dough overnight